1/4 oz Queen's Beasts Unicorn Gold Coin (2018)
The Queen´s Beasts series features its fourth release with the anticipated Unicorn of Scotland
- Contains 1/4 oz of .9999 fine Gold.
- Contained in protective packaging. Orders of 25+ come in tubes.
- This is the first coin in the Queen's Beasts series to feature The Royal Mint's new guilloché obverse design.
- Obverse: Displays the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, along with the face value of 25 pounds.
- Reverse: Designed by Jody Clark, the design features a majestic unicorn leaping over a shield. The metal weight, purity and year are listed around the rim.
- Monarch coin backed by the British government.
Add the fourth coin of this exciting new 10 coin series to your cart today!
The entrance to Westminster Abbey was highly guarded by ten fantastical creatures when the Queen was crowned in 1953. The Queen’s six-foot tall beast statues symbolized the heritage and history Queen Elizabeth II inherited that day. The beast’s also known as royal protectors are portrayed in a collection in honour of them which has started the same year that the Queen became the world’s longest reigning living monarch.
As a symbolic depiction of strength and beauty, it is only natural that the unicorn began being used in heraldry after first appearing on Scottish heraldry in the 12thcentury. James I of England, who united the English and Scottish thrones, chose the Scottish Unicorn to join the Lion of England in order to support the Royal Arms. They have supported this shield, which symbolizes the sovereignty of Her Majesty the Queen and represents the unity of the United Kingdom dating back to those events.